Saturday 14 May 2022

Risotto Primavera

Risotto Primavera is a dish which has the fresh flavours of green vegetables and in Italy, would be enjoyed in the Springtime. It should look like emerald jewels in creamy, indulgent, oozy rice. Here in the UK, fresh broad beans and fresh peas arrive a little bit later. If I can't get hold of fresh broad beans or peas, I am happy to use frozen. Fresh asparagus is something I don't like to compromise on. I'd rather leave it out than use tinned or asparagus in a jar. Maybe that's just me.  
 

I am going to do something which is unorthodox in this recipe, and I hope you won't mind. I have some rinds of Parmesan cheese I've been keeping in the fridge. I'm going to add them for their umami flavours into the risotto. They will have to be retrieved, but the effect will still be evident in the final dish. You can save Parmesan rinds in your freezer, either for making a risotto, or to put in your stock or a soup.

I am using Vermouth in this risotto. You can use another white wine as a replacement. Verdicchio is a good wine to use, and it gives you the option of enjoying the rest of the bottle with your dinner.

Snig's version of Risotto Primavera

(Serves 2 greedy people, or 3)
 
Ingredients:
Two tablespoons of olive oil
half a stick of celery finely diced
onion, both finely diced. 
3 cloves of garlic, very finely diced 
140g of Arborio risotto rice 
half a glass (65ml ish) of extra dry Vermouth
500ml heated stock (vegetable or chicken)
Optional leftover rinds of Parmesan cheese
some sliced green beans for 4 minutes
a third of a mug of frozen Petit pois
a third of a mug of double podded frozen broad beans 
sliced asparagus 
15g of butter
a couple of tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan cheese
  

Method: 

1. Two tablespoons of olive oil, in which I am softening half a stick of celery and an onion, both finely diced. Six or seven minutes to get them soft without browning. 
 

 

2. Then I add three cloves of garlic, finely diced to the pan. If you are less keen on garlic, one or two cloves will be fine. Remember, garlic has lots of health benefits, including being anti-viral! Cook for five minutes on a low heat.  
 

 
3. Next goes in the rice. I'm cooking for two, so I weighed up 140g of Arborio risotto rice. I'm frying it for just under two minutes, stirring frequently. You need to keep it moving at this stage to avoid burning. 
 
 

4. Next is half a glass (65ml ish) of extra dry Vermouth. Turn up the heat, bring to the boil. Stir frequently. Keep it moving. It takes just under 5 minutes to burn off the alcohol enough for the next step. When you can't smell the alcohol, you're ready. 
 

 

5. Now is the time for the hard work. You need to add heated stock (vegetable or chicken) ladle by ladle. You need to keep stirring it, to help the rice absorb the liquid. 
 

 

6. I am going to do something which is unorthodox. I have some rinds of Parmesan cheese I've been keeping in the fridge. I'm going to add them for their umami, although I'll have to dig them out later.

 

7. I parboiled some sliced green beans for 4 minutes. I then added them to the risotto. Even after adding the veggies, the stirring must continue. As the liquid disappears, I add more ladles of stock. 

 

8. Next goes in sliced asparagus. You can see I've added stock and kept it moving.
 

 
9. Finally, I add a third of a mug of frozen Petit pois and a third of a mug of double podded frozen broad beans. I added them in when the rice was Al Dente. You don't want the rice tasting grainy or granular when you taste it.

 

10. After two minutes, stir in 15g of butter and a couple of tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan cheese. Turn the heat off. Stir through. Put the lid on. Leave to rest for about 4 minutes.
 
 
11. Stir thoroughly, and serve in bowls.
 

 

12. Top with more grated Parmesan cheese. Around 2 tablespoons per bowl. Serve and enjoy immediately.   

 

1 comment: