4 large pork sausages cut into quarters
160g green lentils
10 cloves garlic, peeled
400ml hot chicken stock, although you may want to make an extra 100ml just in case (see below)
8 slices bacon/pancetta
5 sprigs thyme (fresh)
2 bay leaves
½ tsp herbes de provence (dried)
3-4 spring onions, cut into rounds
2 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the lentils and stir, heating them up for around 1 minute.
- Put the lid on the pan, turn the heat down to a low simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes, checking a couple of times close to the end of the cooking time. You may find that the pan gets dry (depending on the height of simmer your hob provides), so add a couple of drizzles of extra stock if necessary.
- Add bacon, cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Check the lentils are tender and soft and the parsnips cooked. If not, give them another 5 minutes. When ready, remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Taste and season as required.